Position title: Assistant Director, Business Development and Strategic Initiatives
Job ID: 19195
Open to: public
Opening period: 07/10/2022-31/10/22
The Deputy Mayor’s Office for Planning and Economic Development (DMPED) assists the Mayor in the coordination, planning, supervision, and execution of economic development efforts in the District of Columbia with the goal of creating and preserve affordable housing, create jobs and increase tax revenue. More information is available on the DMPED website at dmped.dc.gov.
DMPED is looking for an Assistant Director of Business Development. The mission of the Business Development Unit is to attract and retain businesses, create jobs and forge partnerships between government, business and communities. We implement our mission through a comprehensive approach based on proven business attraction, retention, and expansion strategies to foster inclusive economic growth for residents of the District of Columbia.
Job Description :
This position functions as a senior advisor to the Director of Business Development and will work closely with the Business Retention, Expansion and Attraction (BREA) teams and the Small Business and Retail teams and relevant DMPED business units to determine a policy agenda to improve DCs. the economic competitiveness of large and small companies in various sectors and pursue the necessary legislative or regulatory changes.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Development strategy: Developed and implemented a business attraction and retention strategy for the district.
- Stakeholder collaboration: Work in close coordination with local economic development actors, including other DC government agencies, the Washington DC Economic Partnership, and Business Improvement Districts on business attraction and retention activities.
- Prospect communication: Oversee communications with companies when considering doing business in the district, including matters related to the following: incentive programs; data needs; and links to the workforce; and real estate needs.
- Business Retention and Expansion Program: Lead efforts to finalize and implement a business retention and expansion program which consists of outreach and engagement efforts with district businesses, real estate brokers and referral partners with the goal of generating leads retainers, understand existing business needs and provide appropriate services when needed.
- Lead management system: Oversee the development and management of a lead management system in conjunction with WDCEP to track the attraction and retention lead pipeline.
- Project proposals and RFI/RFP responses: Work closely with the Washington DC Economic Partnership on project proposals, RFIs/RFPs and prospect pitches.
- Incentive Management: Oversee the administration and promotion of incentive programs administered by DMPED, including the Vitality Fund grant program and the Creative Open Space Retrofit (COSM) tax abatement.
- Marketing Promotion: Oversee marketing and promotional efforts to promote the district as an ideal business location, including the EvidenceDC website, marketing materials, and messaging and communications strategy in conjunction with WDCEP.
- Industry Knowledge: Keeps abreast of current news and trends within industries to identify companies that may be ripe for expansion or relocation opportunities.
- Knowledge of business resources: Develop a working knowledge of local, federal and private resources for businesses established in the district
- Relations with industry stakeholders: Build relationships with industry leaders to better understand the challenges and opportunities within these industries and seek ways to participate in related discussions.
- Economic Development Department: Contribute to the development and implementation of strategic economic development initiatives that support district economic strategy goals, including but not limited to business financial programs, business growth strategies and reports industry, marketing campaigns and other strategic initiatives as required.
- A seasoned professional experienced in productive team leadership with at least five (5) years of experience supervising business development, economic development, commercial real estate, or sales/marketing teams.
- High level of expertise in developing proactive economic development initiatives that have resulted in positive employment attraction results.
- Experience in developing successful relationships with stakeholders, corporate executives, government officials, real estate brokers, site selectors and/or universities;
- Demonstrated understanding of local government and/or district government agency processes
- Proven skills in project management, relationship building and business dealings
- Superior communication and presentation skills; must possess extremely strong written and verbal skills with the ability to relate economic development ideas to diverse audiences and communities.
- Experience with CRM databases and data management preferred (Microsoft Dynamics, Salesforce, Smartsheet).
- Familiarity with District of Columbia neighborhoods and business environment preferred.
- Demonstrated advanced experience with Microsoft products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, Teams) is required.
- Bachelor’s degree (required) or Master’s degree (preferred) with specialization in business, finance, economics, real estate, public policy, public administration or related field preferred.
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills.
- Team spirit and collaborative.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Desire to leverage skills to serve the required public interest; interest in local economic and community development preferred.
Salary: This position is Grade 14 on the District Government Management Oversight Service pay scale. Salary ranges from $114,441 to $160,216, depending on funding. Actual salary is determined by a variety of factors, including years of experience, candidate qualifications, internal equity comparisons, agency budget, and agency organizational structure.
Application process: This position is posted on the DC Government Department of Human Resources (DCHR) website. Interested candidates are encouraged to follow the steps below to apply for the position: