Whether you dream of starting your own business or want to help businesses grow as a financial advisor, market research analyst or marketing manager, a business degree can give you the foundation to see you succeed in the world. Business.
In today’s competitive economy, when many employees enter the workforce with bachelor’s and master’s degrees, a business or international business degree can help you stand out and prepare for many career opportunities.
Is business a good major?
Employers are hungry for candidates with a business degree. In the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) 2019 Employment Outlook Survey, 83.2% of respondents said they planned to hire business majors that year (source NACE PDF). Of the 10 majors most in demand by employers, five were types of business majors, including business management.
Is a business degree worth it?
The business management salary is strong. In 2020, the median salary for management occupations was $109,760 and the field is expected to grow 9% through 2030, according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
What kind of jobs can you get with a business management degree?
Want to start your own business career? Learn more about what you can do with a business degree and how to gain the knowledge and skills you need to succeed in one of these in-demand jobs:
- An accountant – With a business degree in accounting, you can find work in a wide variety of industries, as an inside account managing the finances of a single company, working for the government, or even working as a private accountant in your own company . Accountants review financial statements, review the effectiveness of accounting systems, ensure businesses comply with laws and regulations, and suggest ways to reduce costs and increase revenue.
Accountants earned a median salary of $73,560 in 2020 and the field is expected to grow 7% through 2030, according to the BLS.
- Financial Analyst – As a financial analyst, you can help businesses and organizations make smart business and investment decisions by evaluating financial data and studying economic trends. As the economy continues to grow and global business opportunities increase, financial analysts will be needed to assess investment opportunities when starting or expanding businesses.
Employment of financial analysts is expected to grow 6% through 2030, faster than the national average, and financial analysts earned a median salary of $83,660 in 2020, according to the BLS.
- Human Resources Director – Human resource managers are an important link between the management of an organization and its employees. As a human resources manager, you will oversee the recruitment, hiring and engagement of employees, oversee employee benefit programs and arbitrate staff disputes.
Changing employment laws and regulations, as well as the increasing use of technology in the management of employee benefits, will drive the demand for experienced human resource managers. In 2020, human resource managers earned a median salary of $121,200 and the field is expected to grow 9% through 2030, according to the BLS.
- Market analyst – Market research analysts work to determine a company’s position in the market by researching competitors, product demand and prices. As a market research analyst, you can forecast marketing and sales trends and collect data to measure the effectiveness of business strategies. As companies increasingly use consumer behavior data to increase sales and reduce costs, market research analysts will be in high demand.
Market research analysts earned a median salary of $65,810 in 2020 and the field is expected to grow 22% through 2030, according to the BLS.
- Marketing Manager – As a Marketing Manager, you can help build a company’s brand, increase sales and contribute directly to business growth. Marketing managers plan promotional campaigns, create advertisements and negotiate advertising contracts, and oversee the day-to-day management of social media, email marketing and website content. As new digital marketing opportunities become available and many businesses seek to expand into the global market, marketing executives will continue to be in demand.
Marketing managers earned a median salary of $141,490 in 2020 and the field is expected to grow 10% through 2030, according to the BLS.
- Commercial director – As a Sales Manager for a retail or business-to-business organization, you will direct the distribution of goods and services, set sales targets and analyze statistics to manage inventory and identify new markets. Sales managers are also responsible for hiring and training new sales staff.
Effective sales teams are critical to a company’s bottom line, and the field is expected to grow 7% through 2030 and the median salary for the position was $132,290 in 2020, according to BLS.
What Can You Do With An Online International Business Management Degree?
As technology continues to advance and more businesses move online, it’s easier than ever for companies to expand their products and services to the global marketplace. With a degree in international business, you’ll be well on your way to joining a growing sector of the business world.
In an international business degree program, you will explore international market analysis, global business development, international finance, and ethical standards for international operations. International trade jobs, such as those listed below, are in high demand and expected to grow as businesses continue to expand into global markets.
- International Marketing Managers – International Marketing Managers help drive a company’s international growth and build a company’s brand around the world. International marketing managers earn a median salary of $81,521, according to data from Payscale.
- International Operations Managers – International Operations Managers are responsible for coordinating the operations of facilities in multiple countries and work with other high-level executives to plan long-term strategies for sales and growth. International operations managers earn a median salary of $79,025, according to Payscale.
- International Tax Managers – International tax managers are important members of a global company’s finance team, ensuring that a company is in compliance with international tax law. Tax managers prepare and file tax forms and analyze tax regulations to maximize business profits. International tax managers earn a median salary of $115,034, according to Payscale.
How to start a business career
If you want to embark on a rewarding career in business, enrolling in a business degree or an international business degree program is an important first step. Although there are many job opportunities for workers with a Bachelor of Commerce degree, earning a Master of Commerce degree can help you secure managerial positions.
In a business degree program, you’ll explore principles like management, marketing, and data analytics, and learn key skills like communication, problem-solving, collaboration, and research. You will also explore international business topics and explore the ethical, cultural and regulatory factors that impact businesses expanding into global markets.
Selecting a specialization for your studies in a particular area of interest can help you hone your skills even further. Choose from over a dozen concentrations including:
With a bachelor’s or master’s degree in business, you’ll be well-prepared to enter the business world and find a rewarding career helping businesses and organizations grow.
Discover the top and most in-demand business degrees.
Danielle Gagnon is a freelance writer focused on higher education. Connect with her on LinkedIn.